OPEC+ agrees to delay October oil output hike for two months, sources say

By Ahmad Ghaddar, Olesya Astakhova and Alex Lawler

LONDON (Reuters) – OPEC+ has agreed to delay a planned oil output increase for October and November after crude prices hit their lowest in nine months, three sources from the producers’ group told Reuters on Thursday.

Oil prices have been falling along with other asset classes on concerns about a weak global economy and soft data from China, the world’s biggest oil importer. [O/R]

“Two months delay,” one of the sources said. The three sources declined to be identified by name.

The news lifted oil prices by over $1 a barrel, with Brent futures trading at $73.72 a barrel by 1508 GMT. It fell to its lowest this year on Wednesday.

OPEC+’s planned hike was for 180,000 barrels per day (bpd), a fraction of the 5.86 million bpd of output it is holding back, equal to about 5.7% of global demand, to support the market due to uncertainty about demand and rising supply outside the group.

Last week, OPEC+, which is made up of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and allies led by Russia, was set to proceed with the increase.

But fragile oil market sentiment over the prospect of more supply from OPEC+ and an end to a dispute halting Libyan exports, coupled with a weakening demand outlook, have raised concern within the group.

OPEC+ ministers hold a full meeting of the group to decide policy on Dec. 1. A group of top OPEC+ ministers called the Joint Ministerial Monitoring Committee that can recommend changes gathers on Oct. 2.

CHINA CONCERN

A dispute between rival factions in OPEC producer Libya over control of the central bank that led to a loss of at least 700,000 bpd of production has supported oil in recent weeks.

Prices, however, slumped by about 5% on Tuesday on news that a possible deal to resolve the conflict was in the works. Weak Chinese demand and a slump in global refining margins which could prompt refiners to process less crude, have also weighed.

RBC Capital analyst Helima Croft said in a note that it may be prudent for OPEC+ to wait until December before returning extra barrels.

The planned October increase was set to come from OPEC+ members who agreed in June to start unwinding the group’s most recent layer of output cuts – a cut of 2.2 million bpd by eight countries – from October 2024 to September 2025.

The remaining cuts of 3.66 million bpd, agreed in earlier steps, will remain in place until the end of 2025.

This post is originally published on INVESTING.

  • Related Posts

    Oil falls after Trump reverses Colombia sanctions threat

    By Anna Hirtenstein LONDON (Reuters) -Oil prices wavered on Monday after the U.S. and Colombia reached a deal on deportations, reducing immediate concern over oil supply disruptions but keeping traders…

    Dollar gains on tariffs fears; euro looks to ECB meeting

    Investing.com – The US dollar slipped lower Monday, rebounding after recent losses as attention returned to the potential for trade tariffs from the Trump administration at the start of a…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    eToro “Evaluates Market Conditions” as Tariff Woes Shadow IPO Craze

    • April 5, 2025
    eToro “Evaluates Market Conditions” as Tariff Woes Shadow IPO Craze

    Weekly Briefing: Trump’s Sweeping Trade Tariffs, Italy’s Underrated Trading Market

    • April 5, 2025
    Weekly Briefing: Trump’s Sweeping Trade Tariffs, Italy’s Underrated Trading Market

    Gold’s Performance During Trade Wars Explained for Investors

    • April 4, 2025
    Gold’s Performance During Trade Wars Explained for Investors

    Megaphone Pattern – Definition, Trading Strategies & Example

    • April 4, 2025
    Megaphone Pattern – Definition, Trading Strategies & Example